General Surgery in North Richland Hills
At Cornerstone Animal hospital our North Richland Hills, Southlake, and Keller veterinarians perform a full range of general surgical procedures of dogs, cats and some exotic and pocket pets.
These procedures include the following and a lot more.
- Spaying and Neutering
- Tumor (mass)/ Growth removals
- Biopsy- skin, bone and internal organs
- Oral surgeries for masses (tumors) and teeth
- Declawing cats and dewclaw removal in puppies
- Tail Docking
- Amputation of Limb (In unsalvageable circumstances)
- Laceration / Wound repair
- Urinary Bladder surgery (cystotomy), Bladder or Urethral stone removal (Urethrotomy)
- Eye- Eye lid repair for entropion (eyelid folds inward) and ectropion (eyelid turns out), Cherry eye
- Ear- Hematoma, Ear canal surgeries for chronic ear infection, other ear surgeries
- Planned Cesarian section
- Hernia repair
- Mammary gland removal (mastectomy)
- Prophylactic Gastropexy (tacking of stomach in large breed dogs to reduce the chance of twisted stomach) and several others.
The following orthopedic surgical procedures are performed at Cornerstone Animal Hospital.
- Bone Fracture Repair
- Intramedullary pinning
- Plating, screwing & wiring
- External fixation
- Cruciate (ACL) Surgery
- Cruciate ligament tear- Extracaspsular method (suturing)
- Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO)
- Patellar (Knee Cap) Luxation
- Hip Surgeries
For complicated surgeries or some orthopedic procedures, experienced mobile surgeons may be consulted at this pet hospital or such cases may be referred to specialty surgery centers.
Emergency surgical procedures performed at Cornerstone Animal Hospital are
- Foreign body removal
- Abdominal exploratory (in suspected foreign body or tumors)
- Cesarian section
- Pyometra (Uterus infection)
- Splenectomy (spleen removal in tumors/other conditions)
- Gastric dilation and volvulus (GDV or twisted stomach)
- Perineal urethrostomy (PU) for urine blocked male cats
- Laceration repair
- Eye ball fixing /removal (when eye ball pop out)
- Several other emergency surgical procedures are also performed.
At cornerstone Animal Hospital, we take extra care of the safety your loved pets just like your family doctor does for you during a procedure. We customize anesthetic protocols to fit to the species (Large dogs to pocket pets), age groups (young to geriatric) and different disease conditions (healthy pet to those with heart/liver/kidney problems). Various combinations of different modern anesthetic medications are used to provide a safe and comfortable anesthetic experience for all our patients.
Does my pet need pre-anesthetic Blood work?
Our veterinarians strongly recommend pre-anesthetic blood work for all patients to ensure safety and to assess organ functions, clotting times and blood cell counts. Pre-anesthetic blood testing along with physical exam allows us to estimate anesthetic and surgical risk. Many diseases that can pose anesthetic risk may not be detected on a physical exam alone but several clues may be identified on blood work.
All patients will have an IV catheter for venous access and receive intravenous fluids during anesthesia to help them well hydrated. The equipment and surgery suit at this animal hospital are state of the art, and each patient is closely monitored by a trained technician with multiple monitoring equipment for several parameters. Those include Pulse oximeter to monitor heart rate and oxygen saturation (SPO2), electrocardiogram to monitor heart rate and rhythm, respiratory monitor, temperature, and blood pressure. All these close monitoring devices help us to ensure safety while under anesthesia. Any anesthetic procedure involves some degree of risk. At this pet clinic we are trying to minimize it and make it as safe as possible.
We understand the pain associated with any surgical procedures and therefore advanced pain management and pain control medications are judiciously used before and after surgical procedures to ensure the comfort of your pet. Phone calls to Mom and Dad, soft blankets, and lots of love help make this day easier.